Nicola Sturgeon Gave Me A Virus! (Yuk)

MandelaTwo

Administrator
Staff member
A while back, I got an email from the housing association. Instead of being in the form of plain text that you just read or sending a letter through the post, you had to download and open a pdf file which I know are notorious for containing virus's and the general consensus is do you trust the source, well I thought housing association, if you can't trust them, who can you trust? Of course I should have thought some more. Housing association -> local government -> Nicola fucking Sturgeon.

Anyway, I opened the attachment only to find it was worse than junk mail, nothing of interest! Then I started noticing my computer jamming up and was getting blocked from accessing websites, including my own. So realising what had happened, I considered my options which were limited, worse than ransomware, at least there you have the option of paying. No the only option was to re-install the operating system and start from scratch. Which meant I would lose everything on my computer including all my music. So I decided to upload all my music to one of my servers for safekeeping before wiping the hard drive and starting again.

Guess what? The housing association have just sent me another email with no way of knowing what it's about unless I download the attached PDF file. You know what they say once bitten...in fact Nicola, it's better than that, unlike you idiots, I learn from my mistakes and now have timeshift installed which is the linux version of windows crap's system restore so if the worst happens, I can revert to sunnier times before the virus event!

Screenshot from 2021-08-09 10-02-20.png

Last edited: